Iran dismisses reports of excluding India from Chabahar rail project
Home Uncategorized Iran dismisses reports of excluding India from Chabahar rail project
Uncategorized - July 16, 2020

Iran dismisses reports of excluding India from Chabahar rail project

Iran says reports that India was dropped from the Chabahar railway project are completely false.

A deputy to Iran’s Ports and Maritime Organization, Farhad Montaser, called the story “totally false because Iran has not inked any deal with India regarding the Zahedan-Chabahr” railway, an ANI report reads.

“We had a list of Indian investments in Chabahar port, which also included the issue of Chabahar railway infrastructure and the railway, but during the negotiations, it was not agreed”. He also said, “sanctions have nothing to do to Iran-India’s cooperation in Chabahar”.

Some news organisations on July 14 had reported that the Iranian government had decided to proceed with the long-stalled rail project without India’s participation.

Montaser said, “Iran has only signed two agreements with Indians for investment in Chabahar: one is related to the port’s machinery and equipment, and the second is related to India’s investment to the tune of $150 million.” As per reports, Indian public sector railway company Ircon International pledged funding of around $1.6 billion to the project. Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said the Chabahar port is a “vital part of structuring Iran’s economic future”.

A track-laying ceremony for the Chabahar-Zahedan rail line was held last week. In 2018, Washington agreed to a waiver for Chabahar port under the Iran Freedom and Counter-Proliferation Act of 2012, but the newspaper said Indian officials were still wary.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also

UAE confirms role in elevating India-Pak ties to a ‘healthy, functional relationship’

Confirming for the first time an official involvement of the United Arab Emirates in the I…